Read the full press release
The Sonoma County Water Agency (Sonoma Water) is scheduled to begin repairs Monday, Sept. 12, on a 16-inch pipeline near the Verano Avenue Bridge in unincorporated Sonoma County, near the city of Sonoma. The pipeline, known as the Sonoma Aqueduct, serves the water division of the City of Sonoma (city).
To effect the repair, the pipeline will be shut down and the water supply from the pipeline to the City will be temporarily interrupted. In anticipation, the City has increased the supply of stored water to its current capacity, ensured that the City’s wells are producing and are in good condition, changed watering schedules for park irrigation and City facilities, has asked agencies with large fields to delay irrigation and is prepared to implement contingency supply plans with Valley Of the Moon Water District.
The City does not foresee any interruption of service; however, all customers are encouraged to increase their water conservation efforts beginning Sunday evening (September 11, 2022) and continue until the repair is complete and the water supply is restored. Construction could take up to seven days.
Recommended water conservation measures as of the end of Sunday, September 11:
- Disable or drastically reduce irrigation
- Limit showers to 5 minutes
- Wash laundry during the construction period only as needed
- Run only full loads in the dishwasher
- Do not wash vehicles
These recommendations are in addition to the following prohibitions currently in place under the City’s current Phase 2 Water Conservation Emergency Declaration:
- Filling or initial filling of a swimming pool from the City’s water system, except as necessary to maintain the water level for the proper operation of pool pumps and filters;
- Use of water for ornamental fountains without recirculation by commercial customers;
- Non-commercial washing of motor vehicles, trailers and private boats, except using a bucket and hose fitted with a shut-off nozzle;
- Any use of water from a fire hydrant except for firefighting. Use for essential construction purposes may be authorized by the Director upon submission of an application for a construction water permit;
- Use of potable water for dust control on construction sites; and
- Residential and commercial watering except Monday and Thursday evenings from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
For more information and repair details, please visit the Sonoma Water website.
For more information on the City of Sonoma Water Division, please visit our Water Division webpage.